06 Jul A vision for the Church of England in the 2020s
We are hosting a series of webinars for people who would like to know more and engage with the vision and strategic priorities the Church for the next decade, including the opportunity to ask your questions. Please click on the blue links below:
- Webinar 1: Introducing the vision and the three strategic priorities, 25 March 2021
- Webinar 2: Strategic priority: A church where mixed ecology is the norm, 26 April 2021
- Webinar 3: Strategic priority: A church of missionary disciples, 25 May 2021
- Webinar 4: Strategic priority: A church that is younger and more diverse, 15 June 2021
- Webinar 5: A Church that is simpler, humbler, bolder, 30 June 2021
The Church of England’s calling is and always has been to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ afresh in each generation to the people of England.
The work to develop the new Vision and Strategy is underway but the foundations are already clear: The Church of England must adapt and put its trust in God to become a simpler, humbler, bolder Church that is Jesus Christ centred and Jesus Christ shaped.
- A simpler Church, both in governance and structure and in the way we live and share the gospel
- A humbler Church, recognising our failings and working with others to serve the common good
- A bolder Church energised and enthused by the good news of what God has done in Jesus Christ and sharing that with everyone.
Our strategic priorities are:
- To be a church that is younger and more diverse
- To be a church where mixed ecology is the norm – where every person in England has access to an enriching and compelling community of faith by adding new churches and new forms of Church to our parishes, schools and chaplaincies
- To become a church of missionary disciples where all God’s people are released to live the Christian life.
To help us achieve these strategic priorities we are looking at bringing simplicity and coherence to our governance structures, and the practical ways the Church is organised and gets things done that enable the local church to flourish.
Watch Archbishop Stephen Cottrell and Bishop Emma Ineson in conversation, talking about the vision and strategic priorities.
- Read: Update on progress – address to General Synod, February 2021, by Stephen Cottrell, Archbishop of York
- Read: A Vision for the Church of England in the 2020s, ‘Christ centred and Jesus shaped. Simpler, humbler, bolder’ by Stephen Cottrell, Archbishop of York
- Read: A theological reflection on our emerging vision and priorities by Steven Croft, Bishop of Oxford
- Read: ‘Simplicity, humility, and boldness’: Archbishop of York outlines ten-year plan for the C of E, Church Times, November 2020
- Read: Renewal and Reform – a summary of progress and impact, April 2021